Spatchcock N' Roll
Spatchcocked chicken or turkey
Yield: whole chicken or turkey
1 whole chicken or turkey, back bone removed (save for stock)
Whole shallots, leave skins on (optional)
Lady apples or very small pears (optional)
Fresh rosemary , minced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 for chicken or 450 for turkey.
- If desired, place sliced pears or whole shallots in the bottom of a roasting or sheet pan.
- Open turkey up and place on cutting board breast side up.
- With your palm, push down on the breast to break the bone and flatten the bird.
- Cover entire skin of bird with butter and season with garlic, rosemary, salt, and lemon or seasonings of choice.
- Place bird on top of pears and shallots.
- If desired, surround bird with whole lady apples.
- Roast in oven for 30 minutes (chicken) or 80 minutes (turkey)
- Remove from oven and let rest for 30 minutes (so juices can settle)
- Carve and serve
How to Spatchcock a Turkey or a Chicken:
How to carve a Turkey or Chicken: