Nose to Tail (P#1)
Quick Broiled Branzino with Lemon and Fresh Herbs ... Integrative Nutritionist Lolly Totero leads her Food For Thought class in a series of classes about deliciously eliminating food waste by using every part of your ingredients.
Quick BrOILED WHOLE BRANZINO WITH LEMON, GARLIC AND FRESH HERBS
(Yield: 4 servings)
3 tablespoons melted ghee
4 (1 lb.) whole branzino (cleaned—guts and scales removed)
4 teaspoons sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
8 sprigs flat leaf parsley
12 sprigs fresh thyme
- Put oven rack in upper position. Preheat broiler with a non-coated baking pan inside it.
- Melt ghee in small pan.
- Pat the fish dry with paper towel.
- Make 3 to the bone slices evenly spaced on each side of the fish.
- Season both sides, inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Place the following inside the cavity of each branzino: three lemon slices, slices of 1 garlic clove, 2 sprigs parsley and 3 sprigs thyme.
- Remove hot pan from the oven and brush with ghee.
- Place fish on pan (it will sizzle). Brush fish with ghee.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until nicely browned and crisp.
- Remove fish from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lemon, garlic and herbs. Replace with remaining fresh lemon slices and serve whole or debone prior to serving.