Jonagold Delicata Ratatouille
In this Food for Thought class, Lolly our Chef, cooked a very delicious and nutritious dish with seasonal vegetables available in the market. Check out the video and learn some cooking techniques.
Jonagold Delicata ratatouille
7 tbsp good quality olive oil, divided
2 small onions*
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 small jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
2 small red peppers*
1/2 small Delicata squash, cut in ½ and remove seeds*
1 cup French beans, trimmed
1 medium zucchini*
1 Jonagold or Honeycrisp apple, peeled*
1/2 large eggplant, peeled*
1 small potato, peeled*
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup water
chopped cilantro to garnish (optional)
*Chop into 1 ¼” pieces.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil.
- In a large bowl, prepare an ice bath.
- Cut an x on the bottom of each tomato, and cut out the stem core on the top.
- With a slotted spoon, place tomato in boiling water just long enough to blanch it. The skin will start to separate where the x was cut.
- Transfer tomatoes to ice bath. Do not let them sit in bath too long as it dilutes the flavor.
- Remove tomato from bath and peel skin with a paring knife.
- Prepare (mise en place) all ingredients as listed above noting the *.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat large pot to medium. Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, jalapeno and red peppers and continue for another 5 minutes.
- Add squash and continue for another 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, lift the vegetables out of the pot and into a medium bowl, leaving as much of the oil in the pot as possible.
- Add remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, French beans, zucchini, apple and eggplant. Sauté another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return contents of bowl to pot.
- Add potato, tomatoes, tomato paste salt and pepper, stir well.
- Add just enough water, to half-cover the vegetables. Cover with a lid and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Taste vegetables. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Use slotted spoon to gently lift the vegetables into large, deep roasting pan making a layer about 1 ¼” thick.
- Pour liquid over vegetables cook in oven for 30 minutes. Vegetables should be very soft and most of the liquid evaporated.
- Optional- garnish with cilantro, and serve.
Adapted from Plenty: Vibrant Recipes from London’s Ottolenghi. Yotam Ottolenghi.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with